Friday, May 20, 2011

broccoli, carrot, lemon drop.....GOLD FISH CRACKER!

 Those are the 4 things i have dislodged from different peoples esophagus by doing the
 heimlich maneuver!

FIRST..the broccoli, was at a high school dance, my friends date went into the bathroom because he was choking (huge mistake). one of the other boys in our group came running out and said that "sam"* was chocking. so heals, gloves and all i went in and gave him the heimlich, by the time i got the broccoli out he was blue! it was pretty dang scary, i was pretty shaky for the rest of the night.

SECOND.. the carrot, was at a family dinner and arrons Grandma choked, again, pretty freaky!!

THIRD.. the lemon drop, my niece was strapped in her car seat and the adults were standing outside the car talking when i looked over and noticed that she had her whole hand in her mouth and was kind of red, i jumped in the car undid her seat belt handed her out to her dad and then jumped out, took her and did the heimlich. This one was the scariest for me, she was only about 4 or 5 at the time and she was so little, i couldn't sleep that night.

FOURTH.. the gold fish cracker! i always wondered if i would freak out if i ever had to give my own kid the heimlich, i mean i realize i'm a nurse and probably should not freak out in emergency situations, but when its your own kid its different. well i found out today! he was shoveling the food in, since he has decided he no longer eats baby food and MUST feed himself i had a spread of canned beans, canned corn mandarin oranges and gold fish crackers on his try and he was going to town. and.... he started choking, NOT GAGGING, full on chocking, no air movement. and luckily i didn't freak out, i just grabbed him out of his high chair and flipped him upside down. it took 3 thrusts and that fish came shooting out. he was fine! i was fine!....until about 1/2 hour later when the PTSD set in and i started to feel a little shaky and light headed. but at least i know that during an "emergency" i was able to keep it together, now lets hope i never have to do it again.


i made this print out for arrons scout group and i thought if anyone wanted to they could print it out and hang it somewhere in the house, its a good cheat sheet, just in case. and here is a website to review tips for doing the heimlich on an infant!
http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/choking-rescue-procedure-heimlich-maneuver-baby-younger-than-1-year

5 comments:

Ryan and Amber said...

Um - a photographer did it to Kaelster who had literally bitten off way more than he could chew of an apple. Freakiest dang thing. good job Nurse Lisa!

Lisa B. said...

I totally remember "Sam" and I think I remember that whole event was the worst dance EVER!!!

Monica said...

I have had to do this to Bri THREE times!!! One-A piece of Bacon, Two-The skin of an apple, and Three-A friggin Mentos. The Mentos was the scarriest!! She was in her carseat while we were driving!!! I flew back there unstrapped her and literally had to grab it out of her little throat because of her position. It was nuts. I am so glad he is okay, I need to come over and have you teach me!! xoxo

Chey said...

I also remember Sam, crazy. But had to be way scarier to do it on your little guy. Glad he's ok.

Kami said...

If I'm ever choking, I just hope you're around! You're an expert by now! :)